Advertisement

cruelty free deodorant that works???

topic posted Thu, June 1, 2006 - 10:23 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
i'm frantically searching for a cruelty free deodorant for myself and teen daughter.
we've tried about everthing in that range and no go, natural just doesn't work...especially for active, stressed out hormonal teens!

anyone here using a cruelty free (non tested on animals) product that actually WORKS???
please share!
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: cruelty free deodorant that works???

Thu, June 1, 2006 - 6:06 PM
    The best natural, cruelty free deodorant I have ever tried (and thus, still use) is Nutracell by SAFE. It has no aluminium salts like the crystals do and contains zinc and colloidal silver which seem to do the trick. Its an Australian product but you can buy it online at www.eternalyouth.com.au/category67_1.htm . Its a bit expensive but it lasts my teenage daughter and I for months and months so definitely worth the money I think.

Thu, June 1, 2006 - 7:55 PM
      Tom's of Maine *Long-Lasting* deodorant roll-on. They finally put out something that lasts. The entire day, even. It's aluminum-free, does not contain animal or artificial ingrediants, and hasn't been tested on animals. I got mine at the grocery store. Lavendar-scented and lovely. Best deodorant I've ever used. Like the one mentioned above, it contains zinc, which seems to be the miracle factor.
      • Unsu...

Re: cruelty free deodorant that works???

Fri, June 2, 2006 - 7:22 PM
        i'll have to try the long lasting version. we got the lemongrass deodorant a few weeks ago, and while it smelled divine, it worked on me for only about an hour before it started to quit. it lasts a bit longer on my bf, so body chemistry is clearly a factor.

i'll have to give the crystal another shot...it didn't work for me before.

Sat, June 3, 2006 - 12:42 PM
          Yeah, the regular Tom's just doesn't work at all. The long-lasting version is relatively new, and it's amazing!

So if you've tried Tom's before and didn't like it, just know that the Long-Lasting version is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT DEODORANT. I just can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Unsu...

Fri, June 2, 2006 - 1:26 AM
    I've been using Tom's of Maine Body Deodorizing spray, which comes in most of the same fragrances as the deodorants. Last night I went to a show, used both, and didn't smell at all--even after dancing frantically all night. I used just the spray today, and it lasted. I don't know how it would work for a hormonal teen, but I was surprised at how effective it was.

A little peeved that Tom's is now owned by Colgate (grrr) so haven't sorted out where I'm at with that.

And Nivea, unfortunately, uses lanolin in some of their products, so I keep away. Not only is it an animal-by-product, but I'm allergic.

Sun, June 25, 2006 - 3:15 AM
      I am terribly allergic to Tom's. They are now owned by Colgate? Hmm.
      The crystal doesn't work for me, but I love Lush's deoderant. I use aromaco and fuwari- they work fairly well and haven't made me break out in hives. It's just that Lush is a wee bit expensive... sigh.

Fri, June 2, 2006 - 2:49 AM
    I have tried a lot of natural deoderants that are cruelty-free, and the only one I've found that really works consitently is a product by Nature's Gate and it is NOT tested on animals. This stuff works so well I only have to use it about once or twice a week. It comes either unscented, which I prefer and is called "Winter Clean", or in 3 other fragrences that have names based on the other 3 seasons, spring, summer, and fall. I know this stuff will work for your teen daughter (therefore you too), because I had really stinky pits and nothing worked for me before this. The formula in it is a patented combo of witch hazel and oak gall which litterally kills the bacteria that causes the bad odor. I can't say enough about it, this stuff rocks. It also doesn't have any of that stuff in it that's bad for you, like aluminum, etc.

p.s. extra added bonus: if you swipe this stuff on the bikini area after shaving, you will get *no* razor burn/bumps!
    • Unsu...

Fri, June 2, 2006 - 7:01 AM
      what's the name of this product by Nature's Gate? I couldn't find anything like that on their website.
      Bibia
      • Unsu...

Fri, June 2, 2006 - 9:27 AM
        www.mothernature.com/Shop/Br...m/cr/n/6

they seem to have a lot of different deodorants...inluding those mentioned here. :-)

Fri, June 2, 2006 - 9:38 AM
          I like Nature's Gate, Organic Fruit Blend - Red Pear & Persimmon
          it smells yumm, it works, and it's more than cruelty free.
          It is free of the aluminum stuff, and any parabens which are both toxic.
          It's good to know what's in that stuff because there are no health and safety
          regulations on beauty care products.
          The manufacturers can put any old toxic by product in anything.
          And, our tender juicey arm pits can soak it right up!
          Here is one list of some of the worst stuff.
          www.naturalhealthway.com/artic...s.html

Fri, June 2, 2006 - 10:15 AM
            After rereading the ingredients in the link I just posted I realized something.
            The products containing these ingredients may not be tested on animals.
            But, these ingredients themselves surely have been tested on animals.
            Because when they say "some studies have shown toxic..." or " research has proven toxic...."
            they sure were not studying or researching these effects on humans.
            So non-toxic and safe for you, is also truly cruelty free.

Sat, June 3, 2006 - 3:15 AM
        Bibia--
        Google "Nature's Gate Winter Clean Deodorant Stick", and lots of links will pop up. The various links should have the ability to look at or find the 3 other scented versions of Nature's Gate Deodorant too (Spring, Summer, and Fall).

Sat, June 3, 2006 - 3:20 AM
          BiBia, round 2--
          So I just googled "Nature's Gate" by itself, and it's weird because I think the one I'm talking about that makes the deodorant based on the seasons of the year is a differant company than the one with the website. But if you google the first thing I told you it will take you to the product I'm talking about. :-)

Sat, June 3, 2006 - 3:01 PM
    I was using Tom's natural "stick" deodorant for about a year - the only thing is that of course as it is only a deodorizer and not anti-perspirant you may pick up a bit of your own scent if you do anything other than laze around all day. ; ) However the products scent (it was "Candola" I believe) melds nicely with our natural "parfum". When I would sweat profusely, say after a long walk or other excersize, I recall my ex telling me I did not smell rotten - he said the opposite which is that I smelled "good - like fresh nugs" 0_o Heheh.

Anyway, I used a lavender-scented roll on deodorant after this for about 2 weeks and I couldn't stand the way it felt under my arm as well as the *sharp* scent I was taking in. I've resorted to common commercial anti-perspirant/deoderant as I'm fed up with these comical "Naatural, sweet scented, perfume/soap on a stick" products. I'd be delighted to hear of another natural deodorant worth trying again. : )

Sun, June 4, 2006 - 8:59 PM
    OK, I tried the crystal once before, and at the time I was convinced it was useless, so I tossed it. But with health concerns about the ingredients in antiperspirants and the possible link (listed on the American Cancer Society webpage) to cancer in women who shave, I took interest in this thread and was inspired to do a little more research on the crystal thing. Surprisingly I found that many people find it to be, to say the least, not useless. I decided to give it another try this weekend, e.g. not at work.

Test # 1: dance. Now if you don't dance maybe you don't know how much sweating is involved, even 60 seconds in. Well, I had a 2 hour class, followed by lunch, then another hour of dancing, then another break, then another hour of dancing. I was so freaking paranoid that I was doing sniff checks about every 5 minutes. I brought a backup "real" deoderant just in case.

I was amazed. I did not need the backup.

Mid-day I did sprinkle on a little baby powder, but more as a pre-emptive measure to partially stay my paranoia. But I tell you, after all that, a drenched bra and tank top from the first class, then a drenched T shirt later, I WAS NOT FUNKY!!!!! It wasn't that there was no detectable smell, but that the smell was not funk.

Let me explain - by all rights I should have been *ripe*. And I put my nose all up in there, a task I undertook with no joy whatsoever. But I had to sniff hard and repeatedly just to detect anything. That alone means that the crystal does *something*. The jury is still out, as I'm so accustomed to an artificial fragrance there. But so far I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.

I believe the rocks are all pretty much the same, but in case anyone is interested, the one I got is the creatively titled "Naturally Fresh Deoderant Crystal" - clear bottle, blue top. My highly developed selection process follows: it was the only crystal available at CVS. Ingredients: natural mineral salts (ammonium alum)

Suffice it to say that I would like to keep using this for a while. I will try a week at work, and in the mean time will report back on Test #2: karate class. The main difference between that and Test #1 as far as we are concerned here will not be rigor, but rather attire, or shall we say ventilation? Dance - tank top & sweats. Karate - uniform. It's essentially the equivalent of working out for an hour in heavy trousers and a closed blazer. Stay tuned!

Sun, June 4, 2006 - 9:15 PM
      Oh, I meant the National Cancer Institute, not the American Cancer Society. Go here if you want to read more.

www.cancer.gov/cancertopi...Risk/AP-Deo
      • Unsu...

Tue, June 6, 2006 - 7:41 PM
        i read the article, and while i consider myself extremely cynical of these arguments for a number of reasons, it was interesting to see the age of diagnosis point.

i do wonder if there might be other facts that were not ruled out here--there is always a difference between correlation and causality. but anyway, interesting reading.

Wed, June 21, 2006 - 5:48 AM
          To Star Fish:
          You and your daughter may want to check out Lavilin deodorant www.zoomlavilin.com.
          The Green Guide did a recent survey where customers rated the best eco-friendly deodorants and this deodorant was recommended. Supposedly, it's so effective that a single application can eliminate odors for 7 days!

About a year ago, I decided to make the switch from antiperspirants that contained harmful aluminum and other chemicals to all natural deodorants because I was concerned about the adverse affects to my health. i.e. possible links to breast cancer etc... I've tried several brands which work okay during the fall and winter months. But when the HOT, HUMID, and HAZY Dog Days of Summer roll around, they fall way short of eliminating underarm ODOR. And isn't this the main reason we all wear them in the first place-to DE-ODOR-IZE our underarms? I don't know about anyone else, but during the summer, I can get down right funky and sweaty and smell just like a man-which is not cute. So, I am on a quest to find my HG deodorant: An effective, all natural deodorant that is eco-friendly and not tested on animals. I plan to purchase the Lavilin deodorant soon.

For those of you who are also looking for your HG deodorant, but don't want to spend your money on the full size bottles in case they end up not working, mothernature.com offers sample sizes of many of the brands recommended on this thread. I just placed an order for samples of the Lavilin, Crystal Stone by Crystal Body (recommned by Treja), Crystal Roll-On by Naturally Fresh (recommended by Nico- Hey Nico, I'm looking forward to reading the results of your Test#2!) and Jason long lasting deodorant with Tea Tee Oil. I will use each one for a week and post back my results. While I'm waiting for my order to arrive, I am going to pick up the Nature's Gate brand that was recommend here. Any deodorant that can be used once or twice a week is right up my alley.

Sat, June 24, 2006 - 2:48 PM
            I'm the one who reccomended the Natures' Gate brand, and I'm glad you posted what you did because it looks like the unscented stuff I talked about about has been/is being discontinued--I know, horrors (and pure stupidity on the part of the company in my opinion, *sigh*)!

Do you know if the Lavalin stuff comes in unscented or not? I'm going to have to find something to replace my Nature's Gate when it runs out (in about a year--hey, maybe *that's* why they discontinued it ;-), and the Lavalin sounds like it'll be just what I'm looking for. Of course I can always google it on my own....

Sat, June 24, 2006 - 7:56 PM
            Sorry to leave you hanging, grrlsix! :)

OK, results of test #2: good. I have been using the crystal consistently since that last post for work, dance and karate. It's been nearly a month of high-humidity Philadelphia weather. I'm not only still using the stuff, but also have no plans as of yet to switch to anything else.

The one drawback to the crystal is that you have to put it on right after showering or washing the area, which makes late day touchups a non option unless you can wash your armpits. Since the crystal is a barrier it can't be useful if applied overtop sweaty, bacteria-ridden, late-day armpits. But the roll-on option is a good portable backup if you have some wet wipes or something to clean up with first before you dry off and reapply. I think that's reasonable.

As for me, I was on a trip and can't find the roll on I bought with the crystal, so I can't report back on using it as a late day backup after using wipes (though I love the way it sounds in theory). I do have a scented body spray that I have kept handy (paranoia, you recall) to use not on my underarms but on my shoulders and torso at such times as I would typically be reapplying regular deoderant. The good news is that it hasn't really been necessary, but it does make me feel a little better just in case :p

OK, so essentially I say to anyone thinking about this, try it for a week. Why not?

How I use the crystal:
            After showering I dry off, then wet a hand and wipe it on the skin to make sure my underarms are a little wet. (You can, of course, just leave them wet without drying off, but that could leave them a little too wet for the crystal to leave anything on you). I pass the crystal once under the faucet, then I apply for about 20 seconds under each arm to make sure the whole area is well-covered (paranoia finally serves me well!). I find that the crystal should move smoothly over your skin. If it stutters, your skin is not wet enough. If it's super slick, your skin is a little too wet.
            As it dries it leaves a very thin film that you can juuust barely see if you really look, but then it disappears. Just wetting the crystal and applying it to a dry underarm did not work as well for me - that's what I did the first time I ever tried this crystal thing, and as mentioned, I tossed it.

Deoderant balls: gone. Ring-around-the-armpit: gone. I still feel like I'm experimenting, but again, so far so good, and no plans to switch out. Thanks to prior posters for the tips, and everyone else, keep the tips/questions/suggestions coming.

Sat, June 24, 2006 - 8:09 PM
              [addendum]
              Oh yeah - the crystal is great, and the roll-on worked the few times I tried it before I lost it. But the spray mist? SUCKS!

DO NOT BUY THE SPRAY MIST. It clearly doesn't have enough of the actual mineral dissolved in it. It was just like I sprayed on water. The good news there is that I noticed a difference between when I used that and when I used the crystal because the crystal actually did something. So *do* try the crystal or the roll on. :)
              [/addendum]

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 5:40 AM
                To the... (I hope I'm spelling your name correctly!):
                I picked up the Nature's Gate on Saturday at the Vitamin Shoppe (they are having a sale -25% off all personal care products in case anyone is interested). They were out of stock, so I had them special order both the stick and roll-on in three of the scents. When the salesperson went to place my order, she told me that the deodorant stick version was being discontinued. I had decided to just purchase the roll-on in Spring Fresh because the roll-on does not have the "Propylene Glycol" that is in the stick version. Both my boyfriend and I are trying this deodorant together for 7 days to see how it stacks up. We're on day two and so far, it's been holding up in extremely humid conditions. I will post our results after my one week trial.

RE: Lavilin Deodorant
                According to the website, it doesn’t list it as being “scented”. When I get my sample, I’ll post back and let you know.

To Nico:
                Thanks for updating us with your Test#2. I definitely agree with your statements about the spray version of the crystal stone nto working as good as the solid crystal. My boyfriend and I decided to try a crystal deodorant product earlier this year called PITROK www.pitrok.co.uk. Apparently, it’s all the rage in the UK and I haven’t been able to find any health stores on the east coast that carry it, so we ordered it from a website. He ordered the crystal push-up stick version and I ordered the scented spray version. While the stick worked for us both, the spray version did absolutely nothing for me! No matter how many methods I used to apply it: w/wet underarms, w/o wet underarms, applying it liberally or only applying a small amount-it never worked for me. Surprisingly, the spray worked just as well for my boyfriend. Maybe it’s the hormone factor? Go figure! The pitrok stick started failing me a week ago during the last week of this horrid Hot/Hazy//Humid weather. I would have to reapply doing mid-day because my underarms started smelling musty. Not good.

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 5:58 AM
                  P.S.
                  Nico,
                  Thanks also for the tip about how to apply the crystal product. I would basically follow the instructions by dampening the crystal and applying to "dry" underarms after a shower. I would only do it for a few seconds under each underarm. Maybe wetting the crystal and then also applying to wet underarms is the key.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Unsu...

Field Report on Liquid Rock (KMF)

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 9:25 AM
                    so after all this discussion i found myself in whole foods and happened upon the KMF product. since i like patchouli, i bought that flavor, but they had all the others as well. i previously tried tom's long lasting---the stuff we had was the long lasting and it was anything but. my BF uses it and we both love it on him...but my body chemistry just does not work with it and after an hour it's bad news. i don't sweat daintily like a young girl, i SWEAT. a LOT.

i've been road testing KMF for about a month. during that time, temperatures have soared above 95 several times (and our house does not have aircon), i've presented in front of 30+ people, and gone on two camping trips that also involved all night dancing. plus fire spinning, running around all day, and various other tasks.

i am very, very pleased. the liquid rock can be applied anytime and still works...you don't need to shower or clean up first. it wasn't scratchy on my skin which is the experience i've had with the rock you have to use water with. the patchouli scent is definitely noticeable so if you or your SO is not a fan, get another scent.

net, i'm going to keep using it, and hopefully toss the security blanket i've been holding onto "just in case" i have a big meeting and can't afford to sweat it. after more time in field i'll feel good about deciding one way or the other.

still not convinced that the commercial stuff is truly harmful, but i like the scent of this product more than any other options out there (commercial or otherwise) so i'd use it regardless.
  • Unsu...

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 12:43 PM
    long thread here that i haven't read all of. i use keihl's products. the deodorant is the only one that has ever worked 100% for me. check their website.
    • Unsu...

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 3:49 PM
      here you go: www.keihl's.com
      • Unsu...

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 3:51 PM
        ok, trying again: www.keihls.com
        • Unsu...

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 3:51 PM
          there, that's better. and just the effort that i went to should tell you how much it's helped me out!
          • the crystal

Mon, June 26, 2006 - 4:01 PM
            sometimes i put a few drops of lavender oil on the crystal after i wet it; it seems to help with the anti-bacterial action and help the crystal last longer.

and it smells good. (if you like lavender, that is).
            • Unsu...

Re: the crystal

Tue, June 27, 2006 - 4:34 AM
              Can I ask a totally naive question?
              Is there something cruel about Arm & Hammer? I've been using the Unscented Ultra Max for years and I think it's great, no Aluminum listed in the ingredients.
            • Re: the crystal

Tue, June 27, 2006 - 6:19 AM
              Lady,
              Thanks for the tip on using essential oils when applying the crystal. Depending on which essentail oil you're using, it may contain antibacterial properties, and the added fragrance will help neutralize any underarm odor as the crystal is unscented. I may consider doing this in the future.

RE: LIQUID ROCK DEODORANT BY KISS MY FACE
              I purchased this product last year in the scent Summer Ete. At that time, I decided to switch to an all natural deodorant and did a lot of research on them. This was the first natural deodorant I purchased and made my decision based on many good reviews on www.makeupalley.com. On some days it worked fairly well at keeping me odor-free. On other days, particulary when the warmer months came around, it failed at keeping me smell free and by mid-day , I would have to reapply or else walk around with funky pits. I'm presently using this as my "stand by" while I'm testing other natural deodorants.

QUESTION FOR DIVA: Did you have to reapply this deodorant at any time during the day?

RE: KIEHL'S SUPERBLY EFFICIENT ANTIPERSPIRANT AND DEODORANT CREAM
              I also purchased this product last year. Let's just say that at the end of the day, my underarms did not smell fresh. In fact, they smelled like I hadn't washed them at all that day. Even my boyfriend turned up his nose. This happened to me a few days in a row. So, I ended up tossing the deodorant. Maybe my body chemistry did not work with this product. Or maybe the product was just not that effective. This deodorant also received favorable reviews on www.makeupalley.com. It just didn't work for me.
              • Re: Kiehl's Antiperspirant

Tue, June 27, 2006 - 10:21 AM
                Another note:
                Kiehl's deodorant contains Aluminum Chlorohydrate and Propylene Glycol. I don't know about anyone else, but I have ruined many of nice white shirts and favorite tee's as a result of using aluminum antiperspirants/deodorants. No matter how much I used stain removers or tried bleaching them away, those awful yellow stains remained. This is just another reason why I wanted to switch to using an all natural deodorant. I was tired of ruining my favorite shirts.
                • Unsu...

Re: Kiehl's Antiperspirant

Tue, June 27, 2006 - 11:04 AM
                  thanks for adding that in. i've never had that happen, though... wonder why? body chemistry, possibly? i've had that happen with other types.
              • Unsu...

Re: the crystal

Tue, June 27, 2006 - 9:33 PM
                i did not have to reapply unless i was REALLY dancing hard for hours...and even then it was more paranoia than necessity. i truly believe that all these natural deodorants are all about how your body chemistry mixes with the product. someone else mentioned toms of maine long lasting...but it lasted for me about ten minutes. this is the one that works for me...keep trying because you'll find the one that works for you.
                • Re: LIQUID ROCK

Wed, June 28, 2006 - 4:52 AM
                  I do agree that body chemistry has a lot to do with it. I also believe that women have a different pH level than men (isn't this what the makers of Secret antiperspirant used to advertise?), and other factors like changing hormone levels ( during our monthly period, pregnancy etc...) that also factors ino this as well. I wish that manufacturers of deodorants would take these differences into consideration and perhaps create specialized products targeting the female market.

Anyway, I will revisit the Liquid Rock and give it a seven day test after I finish testing the Nature's Gate deodorant and the Lavilin ( I'm really looking forward to testing this product). After all, it did work well doing the fall and winter months. Since it is a liquid version of the crystal stone, perhaps lightly wetting my underarms will help it's lasting power. I reread some of the makeup-alley reviews of this product yesterday and one person stated the key to using this product was using a heavier application than you usually would (which I never did). I will follow Nico's tips for applying the crystal stone and see if the effectiveness lasts longer. Maybe when using the crystal products, application is key to their effectiveness.

Re: LIQUID ROCK

Wed, June 28, 2006 - 9:09 AM
                    Let me know how the liq rock works - I am intrigued!

I will definitely say that the application made the difference as far as the regular rock is concerned. I think part of it was the slightly wet skin, but the bigger part was *how long* I apply.

Since it's not a regular stick deoderant it doesn't just come right off on your skin, so you have to work it a little to make sure it's getting onto you in a meaningful way, enough to create the barrier needed. So, to make it worth using at all, my advice would be take your time putting it on :)

Wed, June 28, 2006 - 12:27 PM
                      To Nico:
                      I will update you on my one week trial of the Liquid Rock. After all, you gave the crystal stone a second try and now it works better for you.

Just a Quick Update:
                      I received from Mothernature.com my samples of Lavilin, Crystal Body Stone,Naturally Fresh Crystal Roll-On and Jason Tea Tree Deodorant stick. With the exception of the Lavilin deodorant, they all were very generous travel sizes which will last me much longer than a few applications. And they all ranged in price from $.89C to $1.34. So, it is very economical to pick up the travel sizes so you don't have to worry about wasting your money on a full-size bottle that doesn't work. I know the Lavilin is around $12.00 or $13.00; so the $1.09 is reasonable it if it doesn't end up performing well.

TO The Ocelot:
                      In answer to your questions about Lavilin deodorant being scented-Yes. Under ingredients it lists "natural fragrance" as the last ingredient. But honestly, when I opened the small jar, it is hardly noticeable. It is definately not like the heavily perfumed, artificial fragrances in the commercial deodorants like "Powder Fresh, Mountain Rain, Purple passion etc...". It also recommends that "for best results, do not apply any other deodorant for 3 days before using Lavilin for the first time" -just plain soap and water. This is recommended because
                      other deodorants may have clogged your pores and interfere with the healthy function of your sweat galnds. Well, it looks like I will have to wait until after the July 4 weekend to try this out. I plan on being out and about the entire weekend and I will not subject any person, familiar or strange, to my 3 days w/o deodorant funk. My 3 day waiting period will be within the confines of my home.

Thu, June 29, 2006 - 2:43 PM
                        "My 3 day waiting period will be within the confines of my home."
                        lol! Definately keep us up to date on your results. :-)
                        Great tip in getting travel sizes to sample the new stuff, thanks for the idea and the link. I'm going to try the Lavalin when I get a chance, I just hope the scent is not an issue as I'm *very* scent-sensitive, which is why I love the *un*scented Nature's Gate I've used for years that's been discontinued. Like I said earlier, it must work a little TOO well as I only had to replace it every couple years. :-(
                        • Re: Nature's Gate Deodorants

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 3:05 PM
                          the Ocelot,

Good News! I spoke to a representative from Nature's Gate company this week and asked if the deodorant sticks with the seasonal scents were being discontinued. She told me no and that there are no plans to discontinue that deodorant. I told her about my conversation with a salesperson that was attempting to order the stick version for me and then she asked for the name of the retailer. When I replied the Vitamin Shoppe, she immediately said, "Oh, they do things differently. It probably means that they are discontinuing selling the stick. But Nature's Gate is not." I told her good because I have tried several natural deodorants so far and this brand is the only one that seems to work for me.

Who told you that it was being discontinued? It may be a situation like the Vitamin Shoppe where that retailer or website is no longer selling that item.
                          • Unsu...

deodorants..

Mon, July 3, 2006 - 3:28 PM
                            the only natural one that works for me is the kiss my face liquid rock
                            but it has to be the lavender one the others just don't do it
                            because the lavender gives it an extra punch
                            I have to special order from my local healthfood store,
                            its hard to come by, but worth seeking out
                            • Re: deodorants..

Mon, July 3, 2006 - 7:10 PM
                              All Avon products are not animal tested..
                              The Body Shop is also another no animal testing store.. I love thier products but can't recall if they have a deodorant or antipersperant..
                              TTYS, KathleenA
                              • Re: deodorants..

Sun, May 4, 2008 - 3:50 PM
                                They do do a white musk one, but Body Shop are owned by L'Oreal, so the deodorant isn't very 'natural' and contains aluminium. I think the slogan now is 'Against Animal Testing' and fairtrade, not 'not tested on animals'. Hm :|

Tue, July 4, 2006 - 4:19 AM
                            Woo-hoo! Thank you Grrlsix. :-)
                            I was afraid it was being disconinuted because when I looked up the deoderants advertised on their website none of them were listed, so I wrote them an email asking them if they were still making them or not and I never heard back from them, which I took as a bad sign. When what happened to you at that shop was added to the mix it kinda seemes like confirmation. But phew! What a relief, you have no idea how happy you just made me.

Thu, July 6, 2006 - 10:08 PM
                              Kiss my Face Liquid Rock...you have to start with really clean, scrubbed areas with any of the rock kind of deodorants for any of them to work. Also, Bactine for your feet works wonders on foot odor. Seriously.

Fri, July 7, 2006 - 4:55 PM
                                i had been using tom's of maine "long lasting unscented" . . .i works fine when the weather is cooler but is not working so good now. i was able to get a small sample of lavlin <sp> at the healthfood store for $1----so far so good.
                                • Re: LAVILIN DEODORANT

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 5:10 AM
                                  Just a quick update ladies. I finished my " waiting period" which included not wearing deodorant for three days. Last night was day one of my one week test using Lavilin deodorant.

All I have to say is you don't know how much you appreciate the invention of deodorants and antiperspirants until you've gone without them for 3 days-in the middle of the hot & humid summer. After going thru this ordeal, I can honestly say that the world is a much better place with people using deodorant-especially people like me. Trust me when I tell you this! (smile)

Amber,
                                  Did you do the three day waiting period before using Lavilin or did you just start using it right away?

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 1:32 PM
                                    oh no i couldn't. . .i would have lost every friend i have and been banned from going out in public!!!!

before i went to bed i took my shower and then applied the deodorant. (the instructions do say apply before bedtime, to lessen the chances of it rubbing off on clothes or with extra activity before it is absorbed). the next day was hot and i was very active so i did sweat a good amount. i'm glad to say that i didn't have stinky pits at the end of the day. YAY!! the instructions say that you only need to apply once a week?? i'm not so sure about that, but i'm glad i found something that really works. i know it costs a lot more than other brands, but you only need a tiny amount, so it may be more cost effective in the long run.

i hope i've found a replacement for my mitchum roll on

peace----

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 2:02 PM
                                      www.vitaminlife.com/category.php

fyi--check in your local heathfood store to see if you can find a sample of the underarm creme for about $1.

i've noticed that talc is one of the ingredients. . .i don't think that a tiny amount of talc in the armpit region is a big deal. but for sure i wouldn't use any kind of talc products on my yoni.

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 5:01 PM
                                        I know exactly what you mean by being banned from public. The first two days I was lucky enough to be able to stay at home. However on the third day, I had to venture out to do some important errands and it was not pretty. I kept a safe distance from EVERYONE I encountered that day! By the end of the third day, I was sick of smelling my own funk. And keep in mind, I was still taking my morning and evening showers during this time.

The talc ingredient does concern me because I remember the warnings from years ago not to use talc powder in your vaginal area. However, if this product lives up to it's claims, I will still purchase it and then definitely write a letter to the manufacturer demanding that they substitute the talc ingredient with a safer choice-like cornstarch. Also, thanx for the link on where to buy the lavilin. It is cheaper than my neighborhood store that sells it for $12.99. But considering you only use a little of the product-once a week (supposedly)-that's very economical in the long run.

Tue, July 11, 2006 - 8:32 PM
    There is a deodorant sold at Kabuki Springs & Spa in SF that is truly **AMAZING** (and all natural/cruelty free).

(I had been searching for a really effective and natural deodorant for years and years. My boyfriend, who is a massage therapist at the spa, introduced to the deodorant and I was totally BLOWN AWAY at the effectiveness. Also- It's pricey- but *SO* worth it)

The name of the brand escapes me at the moment, but if you call or go down to Kabuki they can definitely tell you what it is and/or sell you a bottle.

1750 Geary at the Japan Center
    415-922-6000

Tue, July 11, 2006 - 8:38 PM
      Star, or someone in that area, please post the name of this stuff when you can. Thanks :)

Wed, July 12, 2006 - 5:24 AM
        Okay, so after approximately two weeks of testing two brands of deodorants under very hot and humid weather conditions, I am now able to post my results. My protocol consisted of the following:
        •Each deodorant was applied only once a day after my morning shower. There were no touch-ups! In the evening when I bathed and got ready for bed, I was deodorant free.
        •No other fragranced products were used during my test period (i.e. perfumes, lotions, deodorant body sprays, body powders, etc…) so as not to interfere with the results.
        •My boyfriend also tested each deodorant with me so that we could compare results (it wasn’t voluntarily-as usual he basically had no say in the matter)
        •At the end of each day (usually around 5pm), we tested the deodorant’s effectiveness by sniffing three ways:
        1. Walking pass each other while the other person sniffed the air to see if we detected a B.O. funk trail
        2. Standing close to each other while the other person sniffed around that person’s body to see if any B.O. was detected
        3. Sniffing the other person’s armpits for B.O. (Really, it’s not that bad. I can think of other things that are much grosser)

Here are the results…
        Deodorant#1: Nature’s Gate Roll-on Deodorant with Deoderm in Spring Fresh

Product Claims: This product contains a formula called deoderm made from advanced research in Europe. Deoderm is a blend of natural archives found in Oak Gall & Witch Hazel extracts and is effective in controlling odor-causing bacteria.

Test Period: 10 days

Comments: This deodorant held up really well during a full day. It passed sniff tests #1 and #2 with flying colors. With sniff test#3, there were a few occasions where there was a faint smell of the deodorant’s fragrance combined with a faint smell of our natural scent (the Spring Fresh scent blended really well with my own scent). By no means was it considered offensive by any B.O. standard. The ultimate test was on the Fourth of July. At 6:30am, it was already 79’-so you can imagine how hot it was later in the afternoon. I left my apt at 2:00pm to go out for the evening and when I stepped outside, it felt like I had walked into a sauna. It was that hot and steamy. I walked a block and then contemplated going back home to put on an “antiperspirant”, thinking a deodorant would not hold up thru the entire night. But I changed my mind and decided to put it to the test. Well, I’m here to say, it held up thru the movies, dinner in the park and walking several blocks to catch the fire works. When I returned home close to midnight, I was sweaty and sticky-but my underarms did not stink. This deodorant did what it claimed to do-it neutralized the odor causing bacteria and eliminated any B.O. funk.
        Would I purchase: Yes (Thanks to the Ocelot for highly recommending this product).
        again

I'll post my results for the Lavilin deodorant on Friday.

Thu, July 13, 2006 - 11:32 PM
          Grrlsix--
          No problem! For my own 2 cents I've found the stick works even better than the roll-on, and if you want to be really amazed at how well this stuff gets rid of b.o. use the unscented--there's no fragrance to cover any potential funk, and you still won't smell. Also, since I only use it every few days (which is as much as I need to since it works so well), if I *do* start to notice a little b.o. I put it on and it kills the odor causing bacteria right away--Wha-La! No more smell. :-) It's pretty amazing.

I also like that it doesn't have any petroleum products and has pretty natural ingredients. I checked out the Lavalin stuff and I don't think I'll be able to use it because it has a bunch of stuff in it that's not so good for me (petroleum, talc, fragrance), but I am curious to hear about the test results from it.

Fri, July 14, 2006 - 1:36 PM
            the Ocelot,

I actually prefer to use a solid deodorant. However, when I checked the ingredient list of the Nature's Gate deodorant stick, Propylene Glycol is the first ingredient (the roll-on has methylparaben which I have recently discovered is the same as paraben). Tasha had posted a link earlier which listed the "Ten Most Unwanted Ingredients in Personal Care and Beauty Products" and these ingredients are on the list. If the roll-on was very effective, I don't doubt that the solid is even more effective.

The Lavilin does have petroleum and talc listed as ingredients. Even though these are not on that top ten danger list , I would like for these ingredients to be substituted with something else. I plan on writing a letter to the manufacturers of Nature's Gate and Lavilin deodorant and demand that they reformulate their products to remove these additives. If we all start a letter writing campaign, we may be able to bring about this change. Other manufacturer's of natural personal care products, i.e. Jason, Kiss My Face, Tom's of Maine etc...have reformulated some of their products in response to consumer demand for safer products. I know it's virtually impossible to find completely safe personal and skincare products. Sooner or later, someone always finds something wrong. I guess it's a matter of which one is the worst offender.

Fri, July 14, 2006 - 5:34 PM
              Okay, here are the results for deodorant#2...

Deodorant#2: Lavilin Long Lasting Deodorant

Product Claims: *Developed by scientists concerned with the wide use of aluminum and other harsh chemicals in deodorants, Lavilin is a hypoallergenic, all-natural deodorant that uses herbal extracts to vanquish the bacteria that cause odor.
              * A single application of Lavilin eliminates odor for up to 7 days!
              *After several applications, effectiveness should last longer
              * Does not lose its effectiveness even after you shower, bathe, or
              swim

Test Period: 7 days

Comments: There is only one word that best describes this product: AMAZING!!!!
              I am a skeptic by nature and when I read the product claims, I couldn’t help but think it was some marketing scam. But I’m here to tell you ladies this is not the case with this deodorant-it’s the real deal! It’s the mother of all deodorants. This product passed sniff tests#1, #2 and #3 with flying colors. I mentioned before that I have a tendency to sweat a lot and can get down right funky and sweaty just like man. My 3 days of wearing no deodorant before I applied Lavilin reminded me just how funky my underarms can get. It wasn’t pretty. One application of this product tamed my funky pits-for days!!!! By the end of the sixth day, the B.O. came back and it was time for me to reapply the Lavilin again. I will apply it twice a week (every 3-4 days) for a month and see how it goes. I keep thinking there must be some “mystery ingredient” that is not listed on the label. Who knew an all natural deodorant could work this damn good?!?

Would I purchase again: Most definitely-in bulk! I found my H.G.

***After trying many brands over the past year, my search for a natural deodorant that truly works is over: Nature’s Gate Roll-on w/Deoderm and Lavilin Long Lasting Deodorant are my top picks.

Overall, I feel that natural deodorants can be just as effective, if not better, than the commercial brands. Just like with any product, you have to weed out the bad from the good, so trial and error is the best way to go. In addition, there have been definite benefits I noticed when I switched to using natural deodorants.
              -The skin under my arm pits is now soft and no longer discolored. The harsh chemicals used in antiperspirants had caused my arm pits to become dry and dark.
              -No more embarrassing, ugly, yellow stains on my white shirts.

I also noticed over the years that my body appeared to get used to whatever deodorant I was wearing at that particular time and it no longer seemed to be as effective. So, in order to prevent my body from building up a resistance to my deodorant, I decided to now rotate them every few months-at the change of the season. In the spring & summer months when the mercury is rising, I need a strong deodorant so Lavilin is my pick. In the fall & winter when I do not sweat as much, I will wear Nature’s Gate Roll-on Deodorant w/ Deoderm. Hopefully rotating them will solve this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Next up, I will retest KMF Liquid Rock again and post my results ; then it’s back to my beloved Lavilin.

Fri, July 14, 2006 - 6:15 PM
                Wow. I'm going to just go ahead and buy some of this Lavilin with that kind of review. The crystal or roll-on I've been using definitely have to be reapplied daily. I just went to their site - I see they're canadian, and I'm going to be up there soon, so if it's sold in stores hopefully I can pick some up. Otherwise I'll just suck up the shipping fees. I see they have one for feet, too! Can such things be?

Sat, July 15, 2006 - 5:40 AM
                  Nicole,

Yeah, smelly feet is just as problematic for some people as smelly underarms. There is probably a connection. l was definitely blown away that at the end of each passing day, we still didn't detect any underarm funk. After the 5th day, my boyfriend was so impressed by it's effectiveness that he actually said, "Maybe I need to buy this deodorant too." Do try it and post your results. There are several websites that specialize in natural skin care products that sell this product and the prices range from $11 to $15-so you just have to look good for the best price. Amber found a website that sold it for a lil' over ten dollars. The instructions are to only use a small amount- so a little goes a long way. If you google the name, you can also find testimonials of people who have used this product for years and swear by it.

Hey Amber,
                  Let us know how you're doing with the Lavilin after you've used it for a week. I'm curious to see if others had the same results as me.

Sat, July 15, 2006 - 7:24 AM
                    For those of you who may be interested in reading other reviews for the Lavilin deodorant, I found some on Amazon.com: www.amazon.com/gp/product...274-8371253

Sun, July 16, 2006 - 6:43 PM
                      hello all--

still using lavilin and very pleased that it works soooo well. i did try the nature's gate unscented stick and found that i worked well too. i find that i don't need to apply the lavilin everyday to avoid stinky armpits, although i do need to apply the nature's gate daily for best results. i think both of them are very good products.

Sun, July 16, 2006 - 10:26 PM
                      Hey again Grrlsix--
                      Thanks for your reply; I agree about the idea of writing letters to the comanies and plan on doing so. Anything to help make the things I use even better/safer.

I also read the results you posted about Lavalin and all I can say is W O W . Seriously, that stuff sounds amazing. My work sells it so I'll definately be picking some up come payday, and I'll post my relults too. If something works even better than the Nature's Gate I've used religiously for years, all I can say is: I'm Sold!
                      • Unsu...

Mon, July 17, 2006 - 10:09 AM
                        hey, great to see this post going and evolving like this!

so a bit of follow up on my pits.
                        well, funny thing happened. i went to toronto (i live in vancouver) and it was super hot there. i let myself go,sometimes applying jason brand witchvera gel. everyone else was sweating like a pig so it didnt' matter. upon coming back i have not sweat and have only used the rock 3 times? it's been a month. once in a while i put on witchvera (witchhazel and alovera) and i'm good.

i get the feeling that i might have sweat out all the toxins in me?...all at once in t.o.
                        we'll see for sure when it gets hot here....i'm hoping, cause it's not much of a summer by my definition.

Mon, July 17, 2006 - 11:51 AM
                      Thanks for the link, grrlsix, , though I trust your review.

OK, I ordered the Lavilin, both the regular and the foot one. Maybe I'll start another thread for the foot one since no one with that issue would necessarily think to look here. But I will post here for sure with how things go with both products.

I don't think anyone loves me enough to do a sniff test on my feet, so I think I'll have to go that one alone :P

Thu, July 20, 2006 - 1:30 PM
                        Amber,
                        You mentioned that you do not have to use the Lavilin everyday, but you never stated how long you can go between applications. On my first use, I went five full days w/o any b.o. By the end of the 6th day, I had to reapply again. What about you?

the Ocelot,
                        I will find out the contact information for Lavilin and Nature's Gate and post it for those who want to start a letter writing campaign. I'm with you, anything we can do to make the things we use better/safer for us an our environment. Do let us know when you try the lavilin. If you could use the Nature's Gate deodorant every once or twice a week, I'm sure with the Lavilin, you'll probably be able to go for as long as once every week or two -or even longer.

Nicole,
                        I'm curious to see how both the Lavilin underarm and foot deodorant work for you. If the foot deodorant is anything like the underarm deodorant, it will probably work wonders. I do think it is a good idea to start a separate thread for the foot deodorant . I'm curious to read the responses and suggested remedies. Someone posted earlier on this thread that Bactine was good for smelly feet ;and I also remember reading on another thread that a mother applied one of the crystal products on her sons's smelly feet and was amazed at how well it cleared up his foot odor problem.

I went to my neighborhood health food store and they were all sold out of the Lavilin underarm deodorant and had only one box left of the foot deodorant. So, I have to wait until he gets some more in stock. Could it be that people who know about this deodorant are buying it in bulk like I plan to do?

Mon, July 31, 2006 - 11:02 AM
    OK, I gotta say that this stuff is all clearly related to body chemistry, because Lavilin did nothing for me. Nada. Zippo. It was like I was wearing nothing at all. I tried a few times, but no deal. I'll let you know how the foot one works out, and I still encourage people to try it because it has worked so well for others, but unfortunately I am not one of them. :(

Mon, July 31, 2006 - 1:03 PM
      Sorry to hear that you didn't have the same results as Amber and I did. Did you do the 3-day waiting period w/o using any other deodorant? Also, did you apply at bedtime and only use soap and water on your underarms?

I purchased a trial size for $1.09 first before spending money on a full bottle to see if it worked for me. Fortunately, it did.

Wed, August 16, 2006 - 8:44 AM
        So, I tested two more natural deodorants using the same protocol as before, only applying the deodorant once a day etc… Both deodorants were the “liquid version” of the crystal.
        Here are the results…
        Deodorant #3: Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Roll-On Lavender Scent

Product Claims: *Neutralizes natural body acids in perspiration
        *Natural, safe and effective
        *No Parabens!
        *pH Balanced
        *Contains no animal ingredients, no artificial colors and was not tested on animals

Test period: 10 Days (7 days initially + I gave it another try for 3 more days)

Comments: I tried this product a year ago in the Summer Ete’ scent and used it off and on for a year. So, after the second go round, my opinion remains the same: This product is an effective deodorant during the cooler months of fall/winter when most people perspire less. However, it is not strong enough to handle summer’s heat and humidity. For the first 7 days, I tested this product during the recent heat wave that swept thru the country. It was extremely HOT AND HUMID with temperatures reaching close to 100’ on two days! There were only two days that this deodorant passed sniff tests #1, #2, #3 and both of those days I remained at home during low activity i.e. working on the computer, reading, watching t.v. etc…which is not a typical day for me. The other remaining eight days, it only passed sniff tests #1 and #2 (it barely passed sniff test #2 on two days). All eight days it failed sniff tests #3 as there was detectable underarm B.O. by the end of the day. The odor ranged from mildly sweaty to musty. It never reeked with odor-but it was noticeable. On the days that I wore a shirt with sleeves, there was a sour smell on the underarms of my shirts. I believe it was a funky mix of my sweat and the scent of the deodorant because when I smelled the other parts of my shirt, there was no smell at all and I was sweating like a pig because it was so damn hot! Because it failed sniff test#3, I would not feel comfortable reaching over someone, raising my arms with someone close by or having someone sit next to me for fear of them smelling my underarm odor. I decided to give this product another try for 3 more days after the heat wave passed and the temperatures dropped to normal and below normal. It was in the upper 70’s to low 80’s during the day and the low to mid 60’s at night with relatively no humidity. The results were slightly better, but there was still detectable b.o. by the end of the day-although mild.
        ***Note: Both the Lavender and the Summer Ete’ scents quickly faded within 30 minutes; so there is no lingering odor for those of you who may be scent sensitive.

Would I purchase again? Yes –but only to use during the fall and winter.

Wed, August 16, 2006 - 8:58 AM
          Deodorant #4: Naturally Fresh Crystal Deodorant Roll-On

Product Claims:
          * Kills odor causing bacteria for 24 hours
          *Lasts up to one year
          *Fragrance Free
          *Hypoallergenic

Test period: 7 Days
          Comments: Before, I comment on the effectiveness of this deodorant, I must talk about the application. I used the travel size roll-on and it was extremely difficult to apply. When applying, I had to turn the product upside down for approx. a minute and shake it several times to get enough of the product. It was shake, apply, then repeat several times for each underarm. I had to keep the roll-on in an upside down position all day. Even after doing this, it still went on very dry. This was in stark contrast to the KMF Liquid Rock and the Nature’s Gate roll-ons where the application was very easy and the products went on “wet”. The difficulty in applying this product was enough to make me not re-purchase this again.
          With that said, This product passed sniff tests #1 and #2 "only" when I wore a shirt that had sleeves. Whenever I wore tank tops or halters, I would get a whiff of the b.o. by mid-day- usually between 12noon and 1pm. It was relatively mild, but still it made me self-conscious. On these days, it did not pass sniff test#2 as my boyfriend said he could smell the b.o. a little bit when he sniffed around me. On one day that I was wearing a tank top, I noticed b.o. just 1 ½ hours after applying the product. Needless to say, I had to rewash my underarms and reapply or risk smelling funky when I went out. This was the “only” time I reapplied a deodorant that I was testing. It passed sniff test#3 on one day only; the remaining 6 days it failed as there was detectable underarm odor by the end of the day. The odor ranged from mildly sweaty to musty. Because of this, I would not feel comfortable leaning over someone or raising my arms when someone is standing or sitting next to me.

Would I purchase again? NO!

***About Crystal Deodorant Products:
          During the past year, I’ve tested three different types of crystal products: the solid, spray, and roll-on, all by three different companies and this is what I’ve learned:
          -APPLICATION IS KEY to their effectiveness. If you do not apply enough of the product or wet it enough (for the solid crystal), you will end up smelling as if you did not use deodorant on that day.
          -INCONSISTENT results may still occur even after you have mastered the application technique. On some days they will give you adequate deodorant protection for "most” of the day, and then on the next day, it will not.

Thu, August 17, 2006 - 11:15 AM
        Hey Grrlsix :) Sorry for the delay.

For the Lavilin I did not wait the 3 days, to answer your question. So I guess the issue is this - for those who can afford to do that full wait, please try this product! It coul work wonders for you. But it means that I can pretty much never use it, because there is no three day period when I can go without. Weekdays? Work & karate. Weekends? Dance. No chance at all. One day I do hope to try it again because it worked SO well for you and others (again, I can't give you enough props for posting these test results - I love, love, love a good product review with such detailed results. THANK YOU). But alas, I don't know when that can happen.

After using the rock for a while now, I will say that your post on that is correct, though it took me longer to realize it than you did (my first weeks were fine). But it is indeed inconsistent - there are days when it's wonderful, and days when it's OK or not so OK at all. It's weird. I have no idea what the factors are that determine this, so I have no control over it, other than to be really diligent about the application, and to make sure I'm super clean before applying. But I do still use it and like it.

That said, I still haven't let go of my backup systems. Body spray and regular deoderant are always in my bag somewhere, just in case, because - as mentioned - I'm a bit pit-funk paranoid. For the record, when I used regular antiperspirant I would always have a stick on hand at work or in my bag in case I ever needed to reapply, so this "backup" stuff is not specific to my use of the rock. It's just that with the rock you can't reapply until you've re-washed, so I had to have other alternatives if I ever needed a "touch-up." I've only had to resort to the regular antiperspirant about three or four times this entire summer, so that's pretty good, I think.

That said, I am still open to other options, hopefully something I can put 100% confidence in and not feel the need to have backups nearby. I think I'll try the Nature's Gate next, but I'll have to re-read earlier posts to see if there's a "waiting period" for that one as well. :)

Thu, August 17, 2006 - 12:02 PM
          OK, just ordered 4 different versions of Nature's Gate deoderant, so I'll report back after I've tried them. Since the reviews I've seen, here and elsewhere, really vary by scent, and since I spent $20-something on the lavilin, I figured I'd get a bunch of these to try at <$5 apiece:

1) Stick - Unscented
          2) Stick - Spring Fresh
          3) Organics Fruit Blend (stick) - Asian Pear/Red Tea
          4) Organics Fruit Blend (stick) - Grapefruit & Ginger

This is making me hungry.

Thu, August 17, 2006 - 1:03 PM
            Hey Nicole,

Thanks for the props on posting my test results. When I decided to go "natural" with my deodorant a year ago, I wasted so much money on natural deodorants that only worked for 30 minutes or not at all, and ended up throwing out full-size bottles (this was before I got hip to the trial and travel sizes). I don't want other people to go thru what I did, so I post my results. Sharing information saves everyone time and money.

RE: Lavilin Waiting Period
            The reason I asked about the 3-day waiting period was because when I recevied my trial size, the instructions were to wait "72 hours" w/o using any other deodorant. However, when I purchased the full-size jar of Lavilin, it said to wait at least "48 hours". What about if you tried this Friday night thru Sunday night (48hrs) and then apply the Lavilin Monday morning when you go to work? During the 48 hours, you can use baby powder or sprinkle a lil' baking soda under your arms. I used the baking soda on my 3rd and final day of my waiting period because I was going out for the evening and I was not leaving my house funky. It worked for me.

Tue, December 19, 2006 - 3:21 PM
              bump
              • Unsu...

Tue, December 19, 2006 - 6:41 PM
                I was lucky enough to receive the Nature's Gate Deodorant as a freebie at the Green Festival. I've been using it and have been quite happy with it.

Tue, December 19, 2006 - 10:57 PM
                  I tried Nature's Gate and it didn't work for me.....have started using just a drop or two of tea tree oil and it works like a charm.

Wed, December 20, 2006 - 9:20 AM
                    What do you do with the tea tree oil? Do you apply directly to the skin? Add to a deordorant?
                    Peace,
                    Fey
                    • Unsu...

Wed, December 20, 2006 - 12:02 PM
                      thanks for the bump!
                      this post turned out to be a goldmine.

so i have something more to add -
                      anyone notice how they sweat differently in the summer as oppose to winter?

for some reason, i think the intense heat and massive sweating i did at the beginning of summer, i felt a lot freasher then i do now in the winter.
                      i think i'm gonna start going to saunas regularly again, as i stink a lot less after i had detoxified. i stink more in the winter cause i'm less active and everything is just sitting in my system.
                      so, drink lots of water with lemon and go for regular saunas - that will cut down on the amount of deodorant you'll need! :-)

Wed, December 20, 2006 - 2:02 PM
                        That is an interesting point. I also wonder if it could be diet as well. I know I eat more fruits and salads in the summer because it is too hot to cook. Then in winter I would eat heavier foods. Although now I am vegetarian so I don't eat heavy foods anymore at all. No gravy on turkey or mashed potatoes for me! Mashed potatoes still, but I can't have the volcanoe happening! Hehehe.
                        peace,
                        Fey

Wed, December 20, 2006 - 6:02 PM

I notice I sweat more on one side than the other - does anyone else experience that?

Wed, December 20, 2006 - 7:47 PM
                            Actually my right armpit is stinkier than the left. I don't know if it sweats more though. I thought I was the only one that had armpits that did different things! Maybe it is normal and I just didn't know it!
                            peace,
                            Fey
                          • Unsu...

Thu, December 21, 2006 - 7:27 PM
                            Yes, I sweat way more on one side too.

As for great deodorants nothing beats Lush.

I use the patchouli scented aromaco, and the flowery oxeo cube. I love them! Way better than commercial deodorants.

Thu, December 21, 2006 - 9:08 PM
                              I thought I sweated more on one side than the other....then I realized it's because I use my right hand way more than my left so that arm is away from my body more and airs out, therefore seems to sweat less.

One interesting observation: I stopped using deodorant for a few months and it didn't seem to be a problem....then I started working again and I felt like I "should" be using deodorant, so I did for a few days -- anti-perspirant deodorant nasty stuff w/ aluminum & parabens and all -- and I started to REEK. It was the weirdest thing ever. I finally washed out my pits w/ ACV and used some tea tree, quit using the deodorant, and no problems since.

Any possibility deodorant somehow CAUSES body odor?
                              • Unsu...

Fri, December 22, 2006 - 8:36 AM
                                > Any possibility deodorant somehow CAUSES body odor?

good question.
                                it prevents us from sweating out, so bacteria might accumulate.

i know diet is a factor, so is the season for me, and the type of fabric we wear is definately a factor too.
                                if you ever wore rayon and sweat onto it it's impossible to get out - once heated up it starts to stink again. gross!
                                i'm also allergic to wool in that sense.

Sun, January 7, 2007 - 11:05 PM
                                  i admit that this might have been mentioned already, but alas im too lazy to scroll and read. i bought a trial size of Alba tea tree deodarant for my holiday vacation (I had been using Avalon Organics) I must say that I am quite pleased with the results.

they are 100% veggie AND preservative free AND the best part is i dont stink! not even after hours on an airplane! wooohooo

their website is here: www.albabotanica.com/ and i got the little sample at Bartells.

:)

Thu, December 21, 2006 - 9:03 PM
                      I apply it directly to the skin, works fine for me but if your skin is sensitive you might dilute it a little with another light oil.
                      • RE: Tea Tree Oil

Mon, January 15, 2007 - 11:31 AM
                        Most tea tree oils on the market are SUPER concentrated. You are to use it sparingly-a drop or two at a time or add one drop or two to a moist pad and then apply to your skin.

Rachael,
                        You posted earlier that Nature's Gate deodorant didn't work for you. I'm curious as to which kind did you use: The Organics Fruit Blend (orange packaging) or their Deodorant with Deoderm (white packaging)?
                        • Re: RE: Tea Tree Oil

Mon, January 15, 2007 - 3:34 PM
                          nature's gate stopped working for me so now its only lavilin.
                          • Cruelty free deodorants that work???

Tue, January 16, 2007 - 6:15 AM
                            Hey Amber,
                            You may be experiencing what I had often experienced when I was still using the commercial antiperspirants/deodorants with aluminum (Secret, Sure, etc...) I posted several months ago that I noticed that when I would use these deodorants, they would work for awhile and then suddenly no longer be effective. I was always switching brands and formulas etc... It appears ( at least in my case) that after awhile, my body would get used to whatever deodorant I was wearing.

When I decided a year ago to stop wearing antiperspirants altogether and switch to aluminum free/ natural deodorants, I wanted to find a solution to preventing my body from building up a resistance to my deodorant. So, I decided to rotate them every few months-at the change of the season. In the spring & summer, I use one brand, and in the fall & winter, I switch to another brand. This seems to be working for me. You should try it and see if it works for you. Also, I'm now using the Nature's Gate w/Deoderm as my fall/winter deodorant and it still works for me.

Wed, January 17, 2007 - 3:48 PM
                          The Nature's Gate stuff I've got is Nature's Gate Organics Lavender & Aloe Deodorant, metallic green with a silver lid.

Thu, January 18, 2007 - 5:10 PM
                            You should consider trying the other Nature's Gate Deodorant w/Deoderm. One of the ladies (the Ocelot) posted earlier (June 2) that it works so well for her- she only needs to use it twice a week. It comes in 4 scents named after the seasons. She uses the Winter Clean (unscented) deodorant stick and highly recommended it. Based on her raves, I decided to try it-but I purchased the roll-on version in the Spring Fresh scent instead. After trying close to a dozen natural and aluminum free deodorants in the past year, this was one of two deodorants that actually kept me odor free for a full 8 Hours during summer's intense heat and humidity. I want to try the solid version as well because she says it works even better than the roll-on.

Mon, January 15, 2007 - 9:06 PM
    i have never tried this but my friend just swabs alcohol (rubbing) on her under arms after a shower. She says it works for her.

I want to try it one weekend and see what happens

Sun, January 21, 2007 - 4:43 PM
      I posted raves about the Tom's long-lasting this past summer, but I eventually had to stop using it. My pits would start to burn and after a few days the skin would begin peeling. Now I'm eager to stay away from anything with zinc in it. So no zinc, aluminum, or talc.

I just discovered Lush yesterday and may give them a go. Otherwise diluted tea tree oil sounds like something worth trying.

Oh, and I too have heard the "swab with alcohol" thing-- a friend swore by it. Never had the guts to try it out myself, though.

Sun, January 28, 2007 - 9:21 AM
        Your friends may be on to something re: using alcohol on their underarms. Awhile back, Dr. Weil posted a Wellness Tip of using rubbing alcohol for BO: "Most odor stems from bacterial breakdown of sweat. An easy way to reduce the amount of bacteria under the arms is to splash on rubbing alcohol." He has written a few articles on how to reduce body odor and highly recommends natural deodorants. Here's one link (just click on the article "Reducing Odor-Causing Bacteria) :www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/A...33#bacteria

I have personally tried this method using a cotton ball BEFORE I applied my deodorant; it definitely gave my natural deodorants a BOOST! Let's face it. Your daily morning and evening showers may not always remove most of the bacteria found under your arms. This method let's you start off your day knowing that your underarms are "CLEAN" when first applying your deodorant. Because alcohol can be drying (sometimes causing my underarms to itch), I now do this every other day or two, as opposed to every day. If any one tries this, post back and let me know your results.

Fri, February 16, 2007 - 6:03 AM
          No go with the Lush deodorants. However, I've found that the Lush dusting powder is really effective.

On the homemade beauty remedies tribe, there were several people who had success with rubbing alcohol, as well as baking soda. One person wrote about using orange peel not only as a deodorant, but an atiperpirant, as well.
  • Unsu...

Sun, February 18, 2007 - 2:10 PM
    Another one that's really great and has flown sort of under the radar of we lovers of the all natural and cruelty free is one by Adidas.

I forget exactly what it's called, but it is sold with all of the regular mainstream stuff and comes in a white bottle/container. It is aluminum free and actually uses tiny fibers of cotton to absorb sweat and stink. It is AMAZING. Super long lasting and smells great. Plus it's not tested on animals.

FA - BU - LOUS!

Sun, February 18, 2007 - 3:44 PM
      I second that on Adidas - It's awesome!!

Tue, February 20, 2007 - 3:50 AM
        The Adidas ABSORBENT DEO W/ COTTON TECH (for Women) may be aluminum- free, but it is still chock full of chemicals:
        Propylene Glycol, Water (aqua), Sodium Stearate, Fragrance (Parfum), Palmitic Acid, Cyamopsis Tetragenoloba Gum (Guar), Stearic Acid, Sorbitan Sesqioleate, Triclosan, Sucrose Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin, Sodium Citrate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Myristic Acid, Gossypium Herbaceum Powder (Cotton), Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Ethyhexlglycerin, Acacia Senegal Gum, D&C Violet 2 (CI60730)

My fiance' and I tried this in the "pure powder" scent a year ago for a couple of weeks because it was aluminum-free. First of all, the fragrance is a very strong, artificial, chemical scent; you will definitely smell like you are wearing deodorant. Second, their claim that the Cotton Tech technology (actual cotton fibers) will “manage perspiration as effectively as an anti-perspirant” is a joke!!! Your underarms will not remain dry at all- you will still have dampness. Finally, the so-called "deodorizing" properties will only last for a few hours-if that. At the end of each 8-hour day, we both had noticeable BO.

The strong artificial scent, combined with my sweat odor, gave me the worst smelling BO ever. My underarms smelled 10x better when I just sprinkled a little baking soda and nothing else! My fiance' also developed a rash from using it. Try a sample or travel size first before you spend money on a full bottle.
        • Unsu...

Tue, February 20, 2007 - 11:48 AM
          actually, the chemical list doesn't look all 'that ' bad.
          and i'm really surprised adidas is cruelty free?

wow.

Tue, February 20, 2007 - 1:08 PM
            Yeah, I was surpirsed as well that the Adidas deodorant is actually cruelty free...

Tue, February 20, 2007 - 1:41 PM
              The aluminum in the KISS MY FACE LIQUID ROCK and other crystal deodorants (i.e. CRYSTAL BODY, PITROK, THAI CRYSTAL etc...) are made from a different type of aluminum than the mainstream antiperspirants like SECRET, LADY SPEED STICK, MITCHUM etc...

These antiperspirants are made from either Aluminum Zirconium or Aluminum Chlorohydrate which absorb into our skin and clogs or blocks our pores and stops us from perspiring.

The Crystal deodorants are made from either Potassium Alum or Ammonium Alum which are natural mineral salts made up of molecules that are too large to be absorbed by the skin. They form a protective layer on the skin that inhibits the growth of odor causing bacteria. So, you are safe using the KMF Liquid Rock.

Recent topics in "*Beauty Secrets for Divas*"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Lips! Azeeza 2 March 5, 2014
painful cracking fingertips! :( Girl 23 March 4, 2014
Allergy to Adhesives Azeeza 0 January 18, 2014
Skin is Looking Terrible again! Azeeza 19 January 16, 2014