Advertisement

how soon can you re-dye hair?

topic posted Sun, August 17, 2008 - 11:00 AM by  Jessica
Share/Save/Bookmark
Dye, not bleach. I used a level three dye, loreal possibly, and it wasn't the shade i wanted. That's the perils of trying to describe "medium brown".
Anyway, i wasn't sure how long i had to give my hair a break before i do it again.
posted by:
Jessica
Portland
Advertisement
  • Are you going to stay at the same level or darker? Or do you want it lighter?

If it's too dark, I'd give it a few days, wash it a few times, and see if it fades a bit. If that's not enough, you may have to use a color remover or bleach. Color won't lighten color. If you do want it lighter, I'd recommend going to a professional, as bleaching at home can be a disaster.

If it's the tone, you can use a semi-permanent color to adjust (i.e. if it's too gold or too ash) as soon as you like. You can use permanent color right away, but the health of your hair would be compromised. I'd give it a couple of weeks, otherwise, if you can stand it.
    • hmmm. Well, my hair is dark brown, i was looking for a lighter, richer brown without getting too far from my true shade and what i wound up with was, umm......a different shade of dark brown? I mean, really it's kinda hard to describe a million different tones of the same color. It actually looked darker than my natural color, but now that i've washed it once it's lightening up. If it continues to lighten with each shampoo it *will* hit the shade i was wanting pretty soon. Maybe i'll wait.

So what's the difference between a "tone" that you're talking about and a whole 'nother color?
      • So, Level is lightness or darkness. Generally, the scale goes from 1-10 or 1-12, depending on the color line-1 being black, or the darkest, and 11-12 being the lightest blond.

Tone is the underlying color-gold, ash, red, etc.

So a cooler tone, i.e. Ash, Violet, are going to look darker.

Warmer tones, gold, etc. reflect more light, so appear lighter. Make sense? do you still have the box from the color you used? it will say if it's ash or gold, or whatever.

So it sounds like you ended up with a different tone of the same level, if that makes sense. the same level of darkness, but the underlying pigment color was changed. and if it was the same level, but seemed darker, it may have been more ash, or cool toned.
        • Also, for everyone's info-permanent haircolor can have primary and secondary pigments-the primary pigments are a smaller molecule, and will penetrate into the cortex of the hair. The secondary pigment are a larger molecule, and will sit halfway in the cuticle. Sometimes with permanent color, the first time or two you wash it, you'll get some bleeding of the color. That is the secondary pigment washing out. The secondary pigment will also make a color appear darker at first.

So if you find you've gotten a color that seems to dark, give it a few washes to get the secondary pigment out, and see if that makes a difference, before trying a chemical to change the color.
        • One more thing, Jessica-was your hair colored or lightened before you put this color on? If your hair is really porous from previous processing, color can grab and end up darker than you expected.
          • Unsu...

yep, my hair is never exactly the color i want when i first dye but after a few days to a week it sets in to what i want. give it a little time before you mess with it again.
      • jessica my heart is with you.
        I have to go through this againmyself.

I love the color after about a week and 2 or 3 washings.

i am going to try henna this time for fun.

Cathy
        • be careful with henna.

I read this on a discussion board just now:

"Compound henna often reacts badly with synthetic hair dyes and other chemical hair products! If you use compound henna soon after you have done your hair with para-phenylenediamine dyes, your hair may be brittle, trashed, and may turn frog butt green or offshore sewage outlet black. Compound hennas have metallic salts which react disasterously with the ammonia in synthetic hair dye. Problem is ... many pre-mixed henna powders do NOT have these ingredients listed!

I haven't had experience with this-as a colorist I don't use henna-but I have heard of people having bad experiences using synthetic color over henna. I don't know about putting henna over synthetic color.

General advice is that if you are going to use henna, look for body-quality henna.

Here's a site to look at:
          hennaforhair.com/
          • Henna should never be used on chemically colored hair. It won't take or it will damage.
            Chemical color should not be applied to recently hennaed hair, I would wait several weeks and do a lot of shampooing.
            If you are going to color, you have to commit to one or the other. I'm glad I chose henna, almost 15 years ago.

Recent topics in "*Beauty Secrets for Divas*"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
NAIL POLISH, what is going on????? Azeeza 2 August 30, 2014
Lips! Azeeza 2 March 5, 2014
painful cracking fingertips! :( Girl 23 March 4, 2014
Allergy to Adhesives Azeeza 0 January 18, 2014