Advertisement

Getting over highlights

topic posted Thu, July 1, 2010 - 10:33 AM by  Ash
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hello all.... I've spent the morning reading through some of the past posts about home hair color, and I just need some reassurance.
The last time I had highlights done, my shoulder length hair began to break off and fall out. I think she left it on a little too long. I went back in to get it cut shorter (sniffle - it took me 2 years to grow it out from a pixie cut) and the stylist (my regular girl is out on maternity) cut layers in. Now my hair looks like total crap. Like straw - I think the layers accentuate the fried-ness.
My roots are growing in, and thought they aren't that bad (my hair is a medium ash blonde with really really light highlights), I can't afford/don't want to deal with the upkeep any more.
Is there a gentle hair color that you suggest to take me back to my roots, so to speak?
I'm leaning toward a demi-perm, but kind of afraid because when I've tried to do my own color at home, the color always faded very quickly. Even when I tried the permanent.
Advice?
posted by:
Ash
offline Ash
Louisiana
Advertisement
  • Re: Getting over highlights

Thu, July 1, 2010 - 10:49 AM
    I forgot to add that the substitute stylist said she'd refuse to put color over my highlights. I think because it's a much cheaper process in their salon. :(
    I've spoken with people that go to other salons that have had it done, along with deep conditioning treatments to protect it..... (sigh)
    • Unsu...

Re: Getting over highlights

Thu, July 1, 2010 - 11:29 AM
      hi...

whats ur natural hair color?

highlights never goo away.. u must cut them off...

u should buy...a semi perment color put that on your highlight first, to cover them... than once u wash& condition.. let the hair dry completly

than use u'r permeant dye.. but once u go in a pool/beach ur hairlight will come back out... u would have to due a semi -perm hair dye over u hair again.. untill u grown it all out.. cut off the high -light little by little.

Good luck... i have the same problem.. the only thing is that im a natural brunette.. i love being blond... I understand what ur going through.
      • Unsu...

Thu, July 1, 2010 - 11:30 AM
        if she refuses..its ur head, ur hair go somewhere.. who will make u happy. it's u'r money.. ur the client!!

get a new hairdresser*

Thu, July 1, 2010 - 11:56 AM
        My natural color is a medium ash blonde.
        I just want to tone them down a little so that the roots aren't as noticeable while I TRY to grow it back out.....and I feel like going a little bit more toward my natural color will help it look a little healthier.
        • Unsu...

Thu, July 1, 2010 - 12:14 PM
          yes.. highlight frys ur hair... no matter how well we take care of them.

u could go with a semi pem. color as close to ur natural color... i think u should go somewhere else*

b/c if u do change ur mind again.. go back to the highlight.. u'll actually pay more to get them re done again.. so i dont know what's the problem with this hair dressers... it's time to find someone else, that will do the job.

the HL will always come back in time... u could darken the HL for a while.

yes ur hair will look healthier if u darken them.

Thu, July 1, 2010 - 6:41 PM
    Good Golly,you don't have to cut your hair off.
    Purchase the color you want and some protein filler from the beauty store. Usually the filler goes on first and then you apply color. The protein filler will fill the empty space in your highlighted strands so that when you color your hair will retain dye with something to hold onto. If applied without filler it will lighten pretty quickly.
    Try not to shampoo too often the first week, use a cool rinse or so and if you wet your hair remember to condition. This will help your color last longer

Fri, July 2, 2010 - 5:28 AM
      I had to cut it off because it was breaking off. :(

I talked to another girl about where she gets her color done, and her stylist charges $75 for color. That's just something I can't afford...one of the other reasons I want to get away from highlighting.

I spoke to the people at Clairol yesterday. Their advice was 2 colors (of the demi-perm), start with a bright golden blonde (which WILL turn my hair orange), and then finish with medium ash blonde. I looked for the colors they suggested and I can't find them around here.
      I went to Sally's and the woman was LESS than helpful and really not professional in the least. I'm going to try another sally's, I think. They can't all be like that.....
      And I don't really want to turn my hair orange first and then cover it with a darker shade....that just doesn't make sense to me.

The protein filler sounds like it might work, I just have to find a beauty supply store with people willing to help me.
      • Unsu...

Fri, July 2, 2010 - 7:18 AM
        u have to be care with ASH brown.. b/c the base on it's green.. that could darken u'r highlight for a while but it's going to give u a green glare....once ur under certain lights.. u will see it..

i think u should buy a perm.color close to ur nature hair color ; dye u'r whole hair... since its blond w/ HL it will absorb fast.

maybe u could ask a friend or family member to help ... section the hair into six sections and color away.

Sally beauty supplies doesnt give any advise... remember that ur color is light... look for the color u like remember the tone may come out lighter b/c of the color on it already.

Fri, July 2, 2010 - 8:11 AM
          Ditto what Sandi said, In my (similar) experience, staying with neutral color yields best results. I'd stay away from anything labeled 'ash', 'cool' (green undertones) or 'gold', 'warm' (red undertones). The highlights will grab the undertoned color in excess. Stick with a 'neutral' color, which should have equal amount undertones. I have seen fillers or porosity controllers at Sally, this might help too.

Fri, July 2, 2010 - 11:07 AM
            :(
            I guess I'll just save up and wait til I can visit a pro.

Fri, July 2, 2010 - 12:04 PM
              A "tint back" (meaning, the return of overly blonde hair to a darker shade) should always be done warm. Meaning a "Golden" shade or a "Warm" shade... a shade that has golds in it (i.e. golden blonde, warm dark blonde, warm golden brown, etc.).

Using an "ash" shade to tint back overly blonde hair *will* cause the hair to pick up the green pigment from the color and the resulting color will look a little odd. I've seen it. Ash shades are used to neutralize shades that have too much warmth (gold/orange) in it. If there is no warmth to neutralize, then the green comes through.

If you use a demi-perm color, you should be relatively safe since it's not "permanent" color and will wash out over time. I haven't used them in a very long time, but isn't it like 20+ shampoos or something like that? It should state so on the box. Worst case, it will eventually fade out.

I would give it a demi-perm color a try. The are much gentler than the permanent colors. Try to find a box of a 'warm' version of your natural hair color. Isolate a strand of the bleached hair to use as a test, somewhere on your head where you can see it. Pin up other hair near it out of the way.

Mix up just a tiny bit of the color in a small plastic cup using the correct proportions (for example, if you are to mix 2 oz of 1 bottle with 2 oz of another bottle in the kit, try 1 tablespoon of each in the cup and mix them). You need to determine the correct proportions of the ingredients based on how much of each comes in the kit.

Place your test strand over a piece of aluminum foil (the foil will protect the hair around the test sample from touching the color). Apply the color mixture to your test strand on top of the foil, saturating the hair evenly. Then fold up the foil in half, then in half again (depending on the size) and clip it in place. The test strand is now in a little foil packet and the color shouldn't get on any of the rest of your hair.

Allow the color to process according to the time on the box. When time is up, unfold the foil packet and rinse the color away (you can use a spray bottle of water and an old towel to remove the color. Place the old towel underneath the strand, like you did with the foil, and spray the strand with clean water. Keep spraying and blotting to remove the color. You should be able to get an idea if you like the result. If you can't tell yet, you may have to go and wash and dry your hair and THEN see if you can find the strand and determine if you should proceed.

Do you like it? Not like it? If you do, then do the whole head. If not, then toss it. You will only be out about $5 or so.

Sat, July 3, 2010 - 2:02 PM
    Hey there!

The advice that everyone's given has been GREAT! I just thought I'd put my two cents in.

Personally, I think that until you get your hair back to a semi healthy state dying it (again) will only fry it more. At least when I've encountered similar problems like this in the past and sought to remedy the situation by throwing more chemicals and processed crap on it, it only got worse.

First, you need to get your dead ends cut off, not all of it but probably an inch or so, otherwise the split on your ends will just travel up the length of the strand (which creates the fried look.) Since your worried about cash I'd go to a SuperCuts where they'll do your hair for about $13. All you have to say is that you need a trim and they'll do a decent job of that. (Don't go to them for anything else though.)

After that you need to give your hair some serious TLC. I have found a couple of things that work all of which are fairly inexpensive. The first thing you can do is a Hot Oil Treatment for your hair you need 1/2 cup of a base oil (coconut oil, olive oil or sunflower oil are the best options) and then mix in 8 drops each of Lavender, Sandalwood and Geranium, make sure they're all mixed well and then heat it to a comfortable temperature. (about 15-20 seconds in the microwave). Test it on your arm before you apply it to your hair to make sure it's not too hot. Then saturate your hair, starting at the ends and going all the way up to the roots. Wrap your hair in ceran wrap (no towels otherwise they'll absorb the oil and not your hair.) and let it sit for about 20 minutes or even overnight. For the best results take a warm damp towel and wrap that around the plastic wrap. Once it's done wash your hair thoroughly and style as usual. Do this 2-3 times a week and your hair should start looking (and feeling MUCH healthier.

The other, important aspect is something you should probably do twice a month (to start with) and is also fairly inexpensive. If you go to your local health food store, they should have all the ingredients. What you're going to do is a henna treatment on your hair. I know it sounds odd but it works, trust me! All you need for this treatment is going to be Henna, what I use is Light Mountain Henna in a neutral shade. This won't color your hair at all, it's just a great deep conditioner. You'll also need to get distilled water, then mix the henna in a plastic or wood bowl with a plastic or wood spoon (no metal otherwise it'll turn your hair green.) Then you apply it to your hair, it's sort of like green clay, you have to leave it on for 3 hours, (best if done on a Saturday, no?) otherwise you won't notice a difference. You can even sleep with it overnight, if you can figure out a way to do this while keeping your pillow and bed clean, I recommend it. Then you wash it off. Your hair will be so healthy you won't even need to use conditioner anymore, I just did it for the 3rd time with my friend yesterday, and we've both been getting complements on how healthy our hair looks.

For your first week I would start with the Hot Oil and then in a few days do the Henna treatment. Soon your hair will be back to it's amazing, healthy self and you'll be able to die it without causing/risking further damage.

A few other tips while you're giving some CPR to your hair - NO blowdrying, styling or HEAT products which causes the hair to fray/fry further and will ultimately make it so you have to cut MORE hair off. DO NOT brush your hair when it's wet, which will cause breakage because that's when your hair is weakest and most vulnerable. If you need to, use a wide picked comb to get those tangles out (using a detangler works wonders too.) Also, using a leave in conditioner will help to keep the frizz down and your hair nourished in every climate. Be aware of how much styling products you use as well, (1-2 should be all you use, none is best). The more you use, the more often you have to wash your hair, and when you wash your hair you strip your hair of all the oils and essential nutrients as well as the products. I wash my hair once a week and use conditioner only 2-3 times a week in the shower. If you put some conditioner in a spray bottle and spray your hair damp to style it, this is best.

If you have a super oily scalp you can use a spray shampoo (found in most salons) to remove the excess oil or simply use a small amount of baby powder at the roots and using the cool setting on a blow dryer, blow the rest away.

I know it's a lot, but trust me when I say I've had a LOT of experience dealing with damaged hair and nourishing it back to life. It may be hard to stick to all the "recommendations" but your hair will thank you in the end!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Venus
  • OMGosh, I'm a stylist and you probably need what's called a filler, but that won't last forever either. A filler is made from turkey feathers, yuck, I know. Your hair is so porus that it won't take color very well. The filler gives the color something to hold on to.

This is terrible and I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Hugs,

Azeeza
    • Thanks

your hair stylist might be concerned with the quality of your hair instead of the money impetus as you've over processed your hair and am complaining about breakage already

I can offer a few natural alternatives
      go to Aveda they use natural products better for the environment and your hair
      try Henna or natural hair color, after you use henna though do not use chemical colors in your hair it will have an adverse reaction and may fry your hair
      other Blond hair enhancers are Chamomile and Cinnamon
      Lemon juice and be sprayed on the hair or brushed on the hair and if u sit in the sun or get sun exposure you will have lighter hair
      I believe they sell a thing called Sun-in and forget if it is natural now but works similarly to regular lemon juice
      se natural shampoos and conditioners

Thanks Azeeza for letting us know about the filler and turkey feather connection

Recent topics in "*Beauty Secrets for Divas*"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Lips! Azeeza 2 March 5, 2014
painful cracking fingertips! :( Girl 23 March 4, 2014
Allergy to Adhesives Azeeza 0 January 18, 2014
Skin is Looking Terrible again! Azeeza 19 January 16, 2014