Advertisement

Best Black Rinses?

topic posted Sat, January 10, 2009 - 1:19 PM by  KindaLik'a
Share/Save/Bookmark
Does anyone know of a really good black hair rinse. I mean GOTHIC BLACK. Maybe even blue black if its a true blue.

All of the darker ones that I find nowadays are actually purple which looks horrible w/ my skin. I tried Jazzing in "denim" once and it actually gave my hair a greenish tone. I used to use Garnier 100% color in blue black, but the last time that I tried it the formula was actually more purple.

Any advice on true black or at least a true blue black rinse?
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Best Black Rinses?

Sat, January 10, 2009 - 1:27 PM
    how about black henna?
    • Re: Best Black Rinses?

Tue, January 13, 2009 - 10:27 PM
      Doesn't henna come out looking dull or make the hair look dull/ dry within a couple weeks?

I really want someting that's going to make my hair look shiny and luxe...

have you ever tried henna?
      • Unsu...

Wed, January 14, 2009 - 9:01 AM
        yes. well, it makes it kinda dull, yes, but for me, it's worth it, because my natural hair is very fine and breaks easily-so henna makes it stronger and thicker.

Well, actually, it's only dull for the first week or so, it gets shinier after you wash your hair a few times. And use conditioner afterwards.

Wed, January 14, 2009 - 6:33 PM
          Also, henna isn't naturally black- so-called "black henna" has an additive that can be toxic- check out
          www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html

When I used to use black henna, it was definitely greenish, and it made my hair hella dry and frizzy, and I would discourage you from using it, but a lot of people seem to like it. Wish I had another product to recommend... I'm sure someone has a nice indigo, but I don't know what brands are out there. Actually, the Henna Pages have a section on using real Indigo to color your hair. But I bet it comes off on everything. Clairol Natural Instincts used to make a very bluish Blue Black, but it's discontinued a long time.

Thu, January 15, 2009 - 9:16 PM
    I just ran into a friend tonight who had freshly colored very blue black hair, and FYI, she said it was Garnier Nutrisse.
    • Unsu...

Sat, January 17, 2009 - 10:51 AM
      garnier and l'oreal dye deteriorates the hair. I have friends who use them.

I don't know about that stuff-toxin-or whatever . I bought this pack of henna that looked green-imported from iran, according to the label. anyways, makes my hair great.

Thu, January 22, 2009 - 3:56 AM
        I checked and unfortunately the darkest dye that they produce is a dark brown
        • Unsu...

Tue, February 10, 2009 - 4:51 AM
          one thing...don't use henna on hair that's been dyed. it does very bad things. and you will be unhappy.
          henna should only go on virgin hair (not to be confused with hair of a virgin) or over hair that's only had henna previously applied.

Tue, February 10, 2009 - 6:13 AM
            >> don't use henna on hair that's been dyed. it does very bad things.

Actually, this is only true of a compound henna. That is not the case with a body-art quality henna -- it'll be fine. See The Henna Pages for more information: www.hennaforhair.com/

Wed, February 11, 2009 - 4:18 PM
              I can't even consider Henna b/c I have a relaxer in my hair right now. I can't use anything that will dry my hair out. In the end it will prolly make it break off.

Wed, February 11, 2009 - 8:20 PM
                yeah don't use henna for your hair
                because there are minerals that do react well to each other
                I've used a blue black I liked from L'oreal
                it is very dark blue black
                I don't remember it having any purple in it because that's what i actually was desiring
                it was a smaller box like a regular box not the larger ones
                if you want more of an azure blue
                dark turqoise ish sea foam
                I use a l'oreal color from sally's
                I like it is very shimmery

Wed, February 11, 2009 - 8:21 PM
                  If you are doing a touch up treatment for more dazzling color
                  I'd suggest a semi-permanent especially since you have a perm
                  followed by protein recontructors
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Unsu...

Thu, February 12, 2009 - 11:33 AM
                    I used to use Loreal. I forget the name of the color, but it has a pale white woman on the box and she has a very short bob haircut and it is blue-black.

Tue, February 17, 2009 - 10:52 AM
                      If you can get your hands on some Pantene Midnight Expressions shampoo or conditioner, it really does darken your hair. My stylist thought I had colored my hair but I had just been using that. Also, Artec used to have some color depositing products for black hair, the color was Blue Orchid, I think.

Sat, March 7, 2009 - 3:03 PM
    Any true blue-black will have some violet tones in it- that's what makes it a cool blue black.

I have naturally black hair, which as I hit my 50th birthday, is now going more & more silver. I like it in a few streaks, but am finding that now I want to cover some of the gray. Unfortunately, it's about impossible to get a totally natural deep ink black by natural means, & true black dyes are among the most toxic on the market. In addition, tho' I'll never want to go really light (for health, expense, & personality reasons) solid black hair can look pretty harsh & aging on older women. So, I,m gonna try something a bit different...
    Since my skin is really, sensitive, I'm gonna try some deep blueberry-violet streaks over the gray, done w/ foil, so we can keep it from directly touching my scalp.

If you're younger, & can still rock the intense black, I have a suggestion:
    In my 40s, I noticed my former almost blue-black had faded a bit. I found a fantastic inexpensive black rinse shampoo, from the Jason's natural line. It does use some artificial stuff, but in smaller amounts than Pantene or even Aveda's rinses. The Jason's also uses plenty of natural dyes, like blackberry & coffee. The scent isn't overpowering, either. Very little build up, & less likely to irritate. I used it once or twice a wk, using a gentle regular shampoo about every 3rd time I washed my hair.
    It restored the extra depth & cool tones to my hair that the sun & age had faded. Made my grays look more silvery w/o covering them, which I liked. (Nothing but a permanent dye will really cover grays).

You don't say what yr natural shade is, so I don't know how well a rinse like this will work for you.
    If yr skin tone has more yellow undertones, a true blue-black just may not be yr best bet- one w/ deep burgundy undertones may look better, while still giving you the Goth look you want.

Thu, March 12, 2009 - 11:21 AM
    i knew a bangladeshi girl who'd soak her hair in coffee. the effect was amazing. it brings out dark eyes like you wouldn't believe.
    • Unsu...

Thu, March 12, 2009 - 2:57 PM
      Do you know how she did it?

Fri, March 13, 2009 - 8:04 AM
        you have to leave it to soak a few hours then rinse with warm water. your hair has to be clean beforehand tho.
        she sometimes shampooed it before she used the coffee.

Mon, March 16, 2009 - 11:51 PM

Tue, March 17, 2009 - 7:37 PM
            interesting. not sure about leaving it in without a rinse tho.

Wed, March 18, 2009 - 6:15 AM
              I tried this last night using the shampoo, coffee for 20 min, rinse with beer, rinse with water. My hair smelled like beer and coffee while it was wet last night, but, this morning, I smoothed in a little bit of leave in conditioner and my red hair had lots of shiny pretty lowlights...perfect! This may become a weekly ritual...

Wed, March 18, 2009 - 6:42 AM
                the secrets out lol!
                i'm glad it worked for you.

Mon, April 19, 2010 - 12:18 AM
                  I would recommend going with something like Clairol Natural Instincts...which is supposed to wash out after a month or so. That rinse you are attempting to use is very watery and I have never used it for that reason. Also I have heard it coats your hair and feels yucky! Are you white, or black? If you are black, your hair tends to be drier and will absorb more. I am white...I cannot use products designed for black hair even though my hair is VERY dark brown because white hair is generally more oily than black hair. This can make certain products repel from your hair, maybe the rinse you are using also. Anyways, the Natural Instincts works best if you leave it on for max. time, apply to dry hair. Anyways, it will last longer and keep your hair healthy, won't damage it.<a href="" title="www.nexteve.com/">">www.nexteve.com/"> Prom</a>

Recent topics in "*Beauty Secrets for Divas*"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
NAIL POLISH, what is going on????? Azeeza 4 Yesterday, 7:55 AM
Lips! Azeeza 2 March 5, 2014
painful cracking fingertips! :( Girl 23 March 4, 2014
Allergy to Adhesives Azeeza 0 January 18, 2014