Advertisement

japanese hair straightening

topic posted Sat, March 11, 2006 - 1:40 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Has anyone had this done? I have and would like to hear from others. Thanks!
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: japanese hair straightening

Sat, March 11, 2006 - 4:02 PM
    i used a paul mitchell one a long ass time ago.

i do remember it wearing off sooner than i hoped and then it looked kinda wierd like some clumps were curlier than others....and it was frizzy or just wierd the whole time.

there was a thread on this a long time ago and as far as i remember everyone gave the j.s. thumbs up. i do want to try it too... i remember someone remarking on the glossy-ness of it.

right now i personally like to just blow it out and take care of the front pieces with a low temp flat iron. (conditioning the ironed parts at night by putting oil or conditioner in them and going to sleep so they dont get all brittle and dry.)
    • Re: japanese hair straightening

Sat, March 11, 2006 - 9:13 PM
      If you visit the "curlmunity" general discussion about curly hair forum on www.naturallycurly.com and do a search for "thermal reconditioning"(which is the real name of the process from what I understand) or "japanese straightening" you can take a look at more people's experiences.

www.naturallycurly.com
      • Unsu...

Sun, March 12, 2006 - 6:43 AM
        Thanks for all the tips. I will go to the link mentioned and check it out.

I've been doing this to my hair for 3 years now. I get it done every 6 months. It is great for my hair which is normally very thick with very tight curls and frizzy. After the process, it stays straight and it does not frizz with humidity or rain. I am a long distance runner so even after I have run 15 miles in 90 degree morning weather, it doesn't frizz.

It's hard finding someone who knows how to do this process well. My first time was in NYC at Peter Louis Salon and it was a great job but I live in Philly. Fortunately the guy who did my hair in NY told me what questions to ask when I look for someone closer to home ....I actually interviewed 4 hair stylists before picking the guy who does my hair now.

My only problem is that it is really EXPENSIVE. In Philly I pay about $650 for the process and he does not do the protein treatment at the same time (which is what they did at Peter Louis salon in NY) so the protein tx gets done 2 weeks later and costs an extra $80. Grant it that it takes about 6 hours to do my hair because it is way long, but I think this is still alot. Peter Louis charged $600 and that included the protein treatment.

What is everyone is paying for this service?

Thanks!
        • Unsu...

Sun, March 12, 2006 - 9:41 AM
          I am a licensed cosmetologist for 20 years now and have been contemplating on including this in my services. I have done relaxers for 10 years, but I have heard no-so-good stories with people doing the Japanese straightening. Also the thought of me working 6 hours on one person just kills me.
          Although, a friend of mine, who is also a hairstylist, just had hers done by someone and it turned out great. she was begging me to do her hair and I didn't want to take the chance of it not turning out or it getting fried. Her hair was actually straight already but very frizzy and lots of volume. I personally think her hair is too flat now with no volume and looks thinner. I think the frizz came back after 2 days of washing so she now has to go back and have it redone. I think that what she was looking for-to get rid of frizz.
          This is a permanant process and usually you have to redo or touch up 6-8 months, just like a perm wave.

Funny- Straight hair is so last year. Big wavy hair is finally back again!!

Mon, March 13, 2006 - 3:43 AM
            Japanese hair straightening is great! I have thick curly hair which generally frizzes by the end of the day and the straightening left it sleek and glossy. I was so impressed that even if I went to sleep with wet hair, I would wake up with totally straight hair. It was so easy and didn't damage my hair at all. The only thing to be careful about is not to do it too often - they normally recommend a minimum waiting period of 6 months otherwise there may be some damage.

I'm in London and have mine done at a Yuko System academy where they train professional hairdressers from other salons on how to use the straightening system, so it's much cheaper than getting it done in a proper salon. The downside is that because they are being trained, it takes about 7 hours for long curly hair to be straightened. But they are being supervised throughout and I think the results are great. It used to be free, but now it's gone up to £50. But in salons it's normally from £300 for short hair so it's a great bargain.
          • Unsu...

Mon, March 13, 2006 - 4:15 AM
            yes it is hard to work on one person for so long...actually it is done in phases so that the hairdresser gets to take short breaks in between each phase but not long enough to see another customer.

I am pleased with my hair, before it was very damaged and kinky curly which by the way it got that way after I stopped having a period.

I can get the big soft curl look now just by using a curling iron. In the past, I would never be able to blow dry my hair in its natural state and get the look that people are doing this year. It would just frizz out.

Thanks for your feedback

Tue, March 14, 2006 - 10:30 AM
    I used to get this done all the time. It was wonderful. My hair is thick, but the stands are very fine and delicate, I have corkscrew curls, and it frizzes easily. The straightening process made it slick, shiny, never frizzy, and honestly it seemed healthier than ever before. It didn't even frizz during a trip to the Amazon.

I was getting it done in Los Angeles for about $250 a session by Victoria at www.straightperm.com. Victoria is the first to do the Japanese straightening in Los Angeles, and she's awesome. Now they're offering some sort of comparable curly perm, which they say doesn't frizz. I am intrigued.
    • Unsu...

Wed, March 15, 2006 - 7:25 PM
      FWIW, my experience with the asian straightening gig.

i have reasonably wavy/curly hair (depends on the weather and what i've done to it). the strands are very fine but there are a LOT of them. i have a bunch of friends with really curly hair for whom this straightening stuff worked beautifully. i've tried it all, reverse perms, irons, etc etc. everything was temporary at best.

ithe first time i had this process done, it didn't work at all. my hairdresser said that had never happened to her before (and i believe her). i've never heard of it not working, and like i said, i have a LOT of friends who use it.

so, i talk to my hairdresser and she says to come back in a month to try it again, using a different brand that the salon has just started using. i come back. i sit through another six hours of process. this time, after we've neutralized the solution, we see that my highlights are like rubber bands. after drying it, the texture of the rest of my hair is clearly "not good", it's like straw.

and the best part: after i wash my hair after waiting for the "waiting period": it was actually curlier than before i started all this mess.

i had to condition like mad for months and months before i could even call it "hair" again.

now, i let it be. if i want it straighter, i blow it out and maybe use an iron (rarely, my texture is still dodgy in some places).

the only difference between me and everyone else i know who has had this procedure: my hair is fine, and it's not strictly curly, it's wavy curly.

good luck, hope it works for you ladies!

Fri, March 17, 2006 - 7:32 PM
        My ex had the Yuko done for a while. First time, great rock n'roll chimp hair. Subsequent touchups, fried and broken off. Took him 9 months to get his hair back, after the whole thing grew out.

Fri, March 17, 2006 - 7:21 PM
    I have had the Yuko System done and I loved every minute of it. I always had it done at the Yuko training salons, so even if I get a novice technician, there are supervisors onhand to help. i highly recommend it. full price in california is about $450. and its not like you spend the whole six hours with one person. there is a lot of waiting and reading.

here are before and afters of my hair: medior.net/yuko/

[sorry the photos aren't better]
  • Unsu...

Fri, March 17, 2006 - 10:57 PM
    I did one a bunch of years back and it was great. I had no frizz, shiny hair that did exactly the same thing rain or shine: Nothing. Which is exactly what I paid the big bucks to have it do. Nothing of its own free will, no moisture sucking explosions, no imromptu festivals of frizzies on my head. It was about $500 -- yeah, yikes, right? Well, I was raking in the dough back then, and no more. But even for us starving artist types, it's maybe maybe possible. I have a friend who does it in Queens, NY and it's as good as what I got, but only about $150. Yeah, well. I don't have the $150 either at this point, but just letting you know, it's sometimes possible to get the same very good work at different prices.

Thu, May 5, 2011 - 8:38 AM
      === Just have a few updates on that cheap place in Queens - my friend and her sister had it done there a few month ago and it was horrible!! Now they need about a year or two to recover. Yes they pay lot less and now it is over processed for a long time.
      So they have to wait about a year to go to Alex Baraz in Philadelphia so he can fix it.
      Anyone who still think going to this cheap places - THINK TWICE and think safe first go to Alex B japanesehairstraightening.i8.com/
      stay safe.

Mon, March 20, 2006 - 11:18 AM
    A girlfriend of mine swears by the Japanese hair straightening. She's been having it done of 3+ years now. Her hair is, as she puts it "ethnically confused". She's 1/2 Armenian, 1/4 Haitian and 1/4 English. I saw her hair when she started having this process done and the results have been amazing and it seems that her hair is in better condition than before.

Mon, March 20, 2006 - 6:08 PM
      i had mine straightened, Yuko, for two years. it was a great difference for me because my hair is so thick and curly. all of a sudden, i had bone straight hair that looked asian. just like i had always wished! but the downside was hair loss. every time i washed it i found lots of broken hair in the drain, way more than ever before. and my hair was beginning to feel thin. really thin. and that is such a scary thing, you know? so i stopped. i went cold turkey. those hair treatments try to convince you that all those chemicals and applications are actually healthy, but let's face it. the only healthy thing for your hair is to let it grow naturally.
      • Unsu...

Tue, March 21, 2006 - 6:02 AM
        I haven't experienced any more hair loss in the shower after straightening than before I started...I first had this process done in Nov 2003 so it has been 2 1/2 years for me so far...my hair is definetely in better condition. But I do miss having a wave to it. To get a wave I have to use a curling iron...go figure!

Recent topics in "*Beauty Secrets for Divas*"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
NAIL POLISH, what is going on????? Azeeza 2 August 30, 2014
Lips! Azeeza 2 March 5, 2014
painful cracking fingertips! :( Girl 23 March 4, 2014
Allergy to Adhesives Azeeza 0 January 18, 2014